In the end – let yourself be imperfect, let your family find what works best for you. It is blindingly difficult to always respond gently, especially when you are exhausted, sleep deprived or have just been woken from a deep sleep. While our kids need us to love and honour them, they also need us to show them we are in fact human and not parents on Attachment Parenting book jackets. Because – who is?
Article: Night Shift – Reflections on Night-Time Parenting, Our Feminist Playschool
Image credit to someecards.com.
Examining the research on the use of hypnosis for children facing medical anesthesia, pain, or chemotherapy, a summary of benefits suggests that:
- Hypnosis reduces pain and anxiety before, during, and after the use of anesthetics.
- Hypnosis reduces pain and anxiety during dental procedures.
- Hypnosis can be used to manage the pain of recurrent headaches, abdominal pain, and distress around receiving chemotherapy.
- Hypnosis can also be helpful in treating nighttime disorders such as insomnia and bed wetting.
Abstract: Controlled outcome studies of child clinical hypnosis, Acta Bio Medica
Image credit to picfont.com
What happens to the sleep patterns of parents with young children? Researchers looked at the course of sleep for parents over a 19-year period and found that:
- Each child under the age of 2 decreased the amount of parental sleep by 13 minutes per day.
- Children between the ages of 2 and 5 were associated with a 9 minute decrease in sleep per day.
- Each child between the ages of 6 and 18 accounted for 4 fewer minutes of sleep per day.
- Parents with children over the age of 2 were more likely to experience sleepiness during the day and dozing during daytime activities.
Abstract: The Sleep-Time Cost of Parenting: Sleep Duration and Sleepiness Among Employed Parents in the Wisconsin Sleep Cohort Study, American Journal of Epidemiology